21 Homeschool Apps Parents Need Right Now
Homeschooling is having a resurgence, with many families realizing it's the best way for their children to learn. It's also highly convenient and can be cost effective to boot. If you've been thinking of jumping on the homeschool bandwagon, there's great news – it's easier than ever, for kids and parents alike!
Educating kids at home is all about choice, and homeschool apps take flexibility to another level. They provide countless ways for kids to access an education tailored specifically to their needs, wherever it suits them – in a fun way. Parents get a look in too, with apps to aid them in a multitude of ways; from creative lesson ideas to keeping up with all the planning and organization that's crucial to a homeschool running smoothly. The relative affordability of apps is a bonus.
Which homeschool apps?
So which apps will work for your family? No need to be overwhelmed! We've taken the guesswork out, picking the best of the bunch to meet all your needs and make homeschooling easy‑peasy. We've compiled 21 of the best homeschool apps for everything including:
- Lesson planning
- Attendance taking
- Curriculum ideas
- Music lessons
- Social / Field Trip planning
- Art & animation and many more!
Cost: Free 30‑day trial then $9.99 per month for up to 4 children
- Multi‑award‑winning online reading & math program for kids aged 2–13
- Amazing value with access for up to four children, to all five learning programs
- Includes Reading Eggs Junior (Ages 2–4), Reading Eggs (Ages 3–7), Fast Phonics (Ages 5–10), Reading Eggspress (Ages 7–13) and Mathseeds (Ages 3–9)
- A great way to give your child positive screen time that's safe, ad free and fun
- Kids get a confidence boost as they complete steps and are motivated to build on their learning
- User friendly to navigate with cute characters children love.
Created by experts and based on solid research, the exceptional learning program available on this homeschool app has helped thousands of homeschooled children learn to read and hone their mathematics skills. The fun, interactive Reading Eggs Apps are brimming with engaging games, activities, songs and 2500 e‑books to keep kids motivated, while learning on the go. The app is perfect if you'd like to plan a structured homeschool curriculum, as there's a comprehensive range of research‑based online lessons. It's also great if you prefer a child‑led approach with self‑paced lessons – just choose what's currently fascinating your child from the many options on offer. Did you know that to 91% Homeschool educators have seen a noticeable improvement in their child's reading skills after using Reading Eggs?
We recommend starting the process by getting your child to do the short Reading Eggs placement test, which matches them to the perfect lesson for their ability. Lessons progress at your child's pace and can be repeated as many times as they need.
“I love Reading Eggs for several reasons. The most important reason is because my struggling readers love Reading Eggs and are making so much progress! I use it to guide my homeschool instruction for both of them. They do not resist and they love when my direct instruction aligns with the skills, they have practiced on Reading Eggs. Sometimes I use Reading Eggs as a preview of material and sometimes as a review. It is very effective either way. I wouldn't want to homeschool without it! The data is great and so are the supplementary resources.” – Amy, verified reviewer
- Lots of functionality
- Specifically built for purpose as a homeschool app
- Is available across iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook, and Android Tablets.
This is one of the apps for homeschoolers that parents need in their arsenal, as it gives you the big picture of your overall homeschool operation. Use it to get all aspects under control like keeping track of your student's progress, calculating grades, managing book lists, planning lessons and field trips.
Cost: Free Trial (Access it free within the Reading Eggs App)
- The perfect homeschool Math app to teach essential early numeracy skills for kids aged 3–9
- 200 highly engaging math lessons
- Printable worksheets to help plan homeschool math lessons
- Exciting rewards to build kids' confidence and love of math.
Make learning essential math skills a blast with Mathseeds today!
Mathseeds teaches kids the core math and problem‑solving skills they need with fun, highly interactive and rewarding lessons. The combination of highly structured lessons with exciting motivational elements, makes it a must‑have tool to homeschool kids in math.
Many parents report that they've seen a big improvement in their child's numeracy skills and eagerness to tackle math problems. Kids love the cute characters and building on their math ability while earning golden acorns.
“My 4‑year‑old loves Reading Eggs and Mathseeds […] He asks to do it every day and it keeps him occupied while I tackle subjects with my older kids.” – Celena, Homeschooler
Cost: Free Trial, then $27 annually
- Instant panic alerts mean kids can contact you instantly if they get into trouble
- Phone logs
- Geofencing Benefits
- Helpful resource for teaching about internet safety.
You've still got to keep an eye on kids even when you're schooling from home. Try this parental aide as a homeschool app. It allows you to block apps on children's phones with just a tap. It also helps you manage their screen time, and keeps you informed about their whereabouts.
Cost: Free or $29.99 USD for Cozi Gold premium
- Suitable for 4+ so little ones can learn responsibility too
- 4.8* on App Store.
Cozi At‑Home Routines resources balance the entire household's schedule. Say bye to your whiteboard, multiple family members' calendars and post its, and combine everything from homeschooling schedules, excursion, and vacation plans to shopping lists the whole family can contribute to.
- A good choice if you can't make it to in‑person lessons
- Lots of different songs and genres to choose from
- Keeps track of progress.
Did you know learning to play piano is not only a fantastic skill, but can also help kids with other subjects? Homeschool apps are great for teaching music. Think of music lessons in terms of learning patterns, organization, grouping, and even fractions! This piano focused music app offers courses on scales, and it helps with sight reading skills too. If you have a mini‑guitar hero you can also try Yousician. This app also offers courses for Ukulele which is a great instrument for little hands to begin their music careers with.
- Amazing research tool for kids' science projects
- Great for science homeschooling ideas
- Apply filters to explore items that match your child's areas of interest.
This is one of the best homeschool apps for budding little scientists. Sponsored by the National Science Foundation, the app features a huge array of up‑to‑date science videos and high‑resolution photos.
- Socialize with new local home‑schooled friends
- Meet up for group excursions and events
- Join a homeschooler support group.
A great platform for connecting with other homeschooled kids or homeschooling parents. Be part of a local like‑minded community and share ideas with others in the homeschooling trenches.
- Create, edit, and share lesson plans
- Organize your timetable, subjects, and semesters
- Take photos and add files to lesson plans
- Share PDFs to be printed.
Make the best use of your time with this homeschool app, by planning lessons on the go. Fast and easy to set up.
- Keeps everything in sync between your computer, smartphone, or tablet
- Keep track of notes, lesson ideas and plans and articles.
This app stores everything you never want to lose which is why we suggest it as one of the most convenient homeschool apps.
Cost: Free (In App purchases)
- Helps kids create cartoons and movie animations
- You can share their animation creations on YouTube, Instagram, TikTok and other popular platforms
- Offers a search for FlipaClip animations to get little ones inspired.
If you have arty kids this is probably one of the homeschool apps, they'll love the most. Homeschool apps for children should help them get practical experience when it comes to their passions – this app will make your future movie director very happy!
- Kids can engage in fun group quizzes, assignments, and presentations
- Create and host quizzes about what the kids have been learning
- Play together with siblings or use it as a homeschool app to socialize with other homeschoolers.
This is the app to learn anything, anywhere. Quizizz is used by more than 20 million people per month in schools, homes, and offices around the world.
- Combines games with challenging questions
- Covers state identification, capitals, geographical features, and flags
- Four games in one.
Your student will love learning all about the fifty states! As kids earn more states, they'll begin to unlock the four free bonus games which are: Map It, Pile Up, Puzzler and Capital Drop.
If your child enjoys watching movies, BrainPop Jr. is the perfect homeschool app! Not only does the app provide interactive movies about science, social studies, reading, writing, math, health, arts, and technology, but also it comes with quizzes and bonus features. BrainPop Jr. is a fun way for students to practice their critical thinking skills!
- Very simple to use
- Learn about astronomy.
This is a great app for homeschoolers. Take a blanket out and lie under the stars for fun lessons with the kids. Star Walk 2 will help you all explore the starry night sky together.
Cost: Free (In App purchases)
- Over 75 categories in this game to choose from
- Students can act out each word one by one, or you can divide them into two groups to compete against each other
- Available for Android, iPhone, iPad.
This versatile game is perfect if you're interested in apps for homeschoolers to play with other students over Zoom. Kids compete against each other to guess the words displayed on their foreheads as the clock ticks 10 seconds down.
Cost: Free one‑month trial
- Set up a routine for mornings, lesson times – even bedtimes
- Dynamic timers
- Visual and audible activity prompts.
Do you have a child that isn't a morning person? This homeschool app brings calm to the chaos of kids' daily routines. Motivating rewards help teach your child to stay on time, and on task every time.
Life skills are important too! This homeschool app lets you assign and track household tasks and motivate kids to complete them. This easy‑to‑use chore chart app is available for iPhone and iPad as well as on the web. If you are constantly having to nag your kids about completing their chores, then this app has been tailor‑made for your family.
- You can optionally add a short note for each school day
- Notes can be included in the Detail and Spreadsheet reports.
You might wonder of you need a homeschool app for attendance. The answer is yes and this app makes taking attendance a breeze! One tap is all it takes. It's also great during those busy mornings, as it lets you view the day's schedule at‑a‑glance. Also allows you to record reasons for absences.
Cost: Free for basic version
- A great way for kids to learn a new language
- It offers fast, bite‑sized lessons and kids can unlock new levels as they improve.
Duolingo offers game‑like lessons, fun characters, and the chance to earn points along the way. Use as a fun Homeschool app to build on kids' love of languages. They'll be saying hello in their language of choice in no time!
- Historical events are documented with social and historical context
- History is brought to life by an illustrative timeline and little‑known facts.
Back in Time's custom‑made animations make it one the best homeschool apps when it comes to history. Take your students on a journey through time and events.
As you can see, educational apps are the perfect way for little hands to get learning in a comfortable, fun, and educational way. They also offer homeschooling parents' countless options to create lessons, find interesting activities, stay organized and keep track of their kids' learning. So, as you can see, it's well worth incorporating these affordable, handy resources to make homeschooling easy for you and fun for the kids.