Learning how to read is one of the most important skills children need to have success in all areas. FREE TRIAL
Learning how to read is a complex process that can be broken down into a number of steps. Each step requires considerable practice. Some children progress through these steps rapidly and with ease, but others take longer.
Motivation plays a vital role in helping children to become successful readers. The more motivated and focused they are, the more they will want to read, and consequently the better they will become at this crucial skill.
The National Reading Panel’s report (2000) identified five essential areas involved in effective reading instruction:
1. Phonemic awareness – This is understanding how words can be broken up into their smallest units of sound e.g., /p/o/t/, and how sounds can be assembled together like building blocks to make new words: /p/o/t/ can make /t/o/p/.
2. Phonics – This is direct instruction in letter-sound correspondence. Children are taught to blend sounds together to make words, and to break words up into their constituent sounds for spelling.
Reading Eggs makes learning how to read fun and engaging for kids, with motivating online reading lessons, games, and activities. Children love the songs, golden eggs, and cute characters which spur them on the keep building on their reading skills. Watch their confidence grow! Your child can learn to read right now. Start your FREE trial today!
3. Fluency – This is the ability to read a text accurately and quickly and is an important step towards comprehension. Fluent readers do not have to spend their time decoding the text. Instead, they can concentrate on reading for meaning.
4. Vocabulary – Developing and enriching a child’s vocabulary is an essential part of the reading process. It is not just about memorizing lists of words but learning new words in context and understanding their meaning.
Learning how to read should be fun, so kids stay motivated and positive about honing this essential skill. Proficient reading will set kids up for lifelong success. Get a Reading Eggs Free Trial today.
5. Comprehension – This is the ultimate goal of reading. A variety of strategies exist to enable children to understand and connect with what they have read, for example, Bloom’s Taxonomy (knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis, evaluation).
The Reading Eggs program teaches each fundamental reading skill listed above in a highly engaging and motivating way. Every lesson and activity in the program reinforces best practice research into how children learn to read.
Packed with games, activities, songs, and rewards, kids are motivated to build the essential skills required so they can become successful readers for life!
"Just want to say a HUGE thank you for your fabulous Reading Eggs program. My daughter is 4 next month and it is simply amazing how quickly she is genuinely learning to read. It is great how easily Reading Eggs teaches children to read. It takes any stress out of the learning process by making it fun. Thanks again."
"I am so thrilled to have found this program. My son thoroughly enjoys it. I can see a huge improvement in his reading. Thank you."