What information do we collect?
- We collect information from you when you register on the site, place an order and enter a contest, respond to a survey or communication such as e-mail, or participate in another site feature.
- When ordering or registering, we may ask you for your name, e-mail address, mailing address, phone number, credit card information or other information. You may, however, visit our site anonymously.
- We also collect information about gift recipients so that we can fulfill the gift purchase. The information we collect about gift recipients is not used for marketing purposes.
- Like many websites, we use "cookies" to enhance your experience and gather information about visitors and visits to our websites. Please refer to the "Do we use ‘cookies’?" section below for information about cookies and how we use them.
How do we use your information?
We may use the information we collect from you when you register, purchase products, enter a contest or promotion, respond to a survey or marketing communication, surf the website, or use certain other site features in the following ways:
- To personalize your site experience and to allow us to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested.
- To allow us to better service you in responding to your customer service requests.
- To quickly process your transactions.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature.
- If you have opted-in to receive our e-mail newsletter, we may send you periodic e-mails. If you would no longer like to receive promotional e-mail from us, please refer to the "How can you opt-out, remove or modify information you have provided to us?" section below. If you have not opted-in to receive e-mail newsletters, you will not receive these e-mails. Visitors who register or participate in other site features such as marketing programs and ‘members-only’ content will be given a choice whether they would like to be on our e-mail list and receive e-mail communications from us.
- Also, if you have opted-in to receive the ABC Shop newsletter on new releases from the ABC Shop, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation may send you periodic emails. If you would no longer like to receive these promotional emails, you may unsubscribe at any time from a link in the email.
Reading Eggs data storage and security
Limiting access to education records
Education records are only accessible to users who are logged in and have been successfully authenticated by entering a username and password. Students are only able to access their own progress, and teachers can only view students from within their school.
Student and teacher data can only be accessed by Blake eLearning staff and partners. Data is never shared with third parties without explicit permission.
Management of historical data
When a subscription to the application expires, we retain the data in our database. If the school would like this data to be deleted, they can contact our customer service team and we will be happy to oblige.
Challenging the accuracy of student or teacher data
If a teacher believes there is a problem with any data that has been collected, they can contact our customer service team and we will investigate the matter. If a problem is identified, we will seek a solution to fix it.
Ensuring data is secure and protected
Student and teacher data is stored in a secure database on Amazon Web Services (AWS). Access to these servers is limited to the application, and by software developers at Blake eLearning, via secure shell.
Passwords for users of the system are encrypted using salt and hash technologies.
All data transferred within Reading Eggs is protected by SSL. SSL is a technology that makes your data illegible in transit. If anyone were to intercept communication between our servers and your computer, they would not be able to easily decipher what was being passed back and forth.
Do we use "cookies"?
We may contract with third-party service providers to assist us in better understanding our site visitors. These service providers are not permitted to use the information collected on our behalf except to help us conduct and improve our business.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser (like Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer) settings. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies. If you turn cookies off, you won’t have access to many features that make your site experience more efficient and some of our services will not function properly. However, you can still place orders over the telephone by contacting customer service.
Do we disclose the information we collect to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information unless we provide you with advance notice, except as described below. The term "outside parties" does not include Blake Education. It also does not include website hosting partners and other parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others’ rights, property, or safety.
However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
How can you opt-out, remove or modify information you have provided to us?
To modify your e-mail subscriptions, please let us know by modifying your preferences in the "My Account" section. Please note that due to email production schedules you may receive any emails already in production.
To delete all of your online account information from our database, sign into the "My Account" section of our site and remove your shipping addresses, billing addresses & payment information. Please note that we may maintain information about an individual sales transaction in order to service that transaction and for record keeping.
Third party links
In an attempt to provide you with increased value, we may include third party links on our site. These linked sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these linked sites (including if a specific link does not work).
Changes to our policy
Questions and feedback
We welcome your questions, comments, and concerns about privacy. Please send us any and all feedback pertaining to privacy, or any other issue.
Online Policy Only
Terms and Conditions
Please also visit our Terms and Conditions section establishing the use, disclaimers, and limitations of liability governing the use of our website.
This website is published by Blake Publishing, with support from 3P Learning.
The ABC Connect trade mark is used under license by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
This Privacy Statement has been developed in accordance with the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), the United Kingdom Privacy Protection Act 1998 and the United States Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act and Rule as administered by the Federal Trade Commission.
Policy last updated: November 2016